Baby Shower: Our Top Gift Ideas & they may not be what you think.
Recently we spoke with a group of new mums about their thoughts on baby shower gifts, and the surprisingly great gifts they received that they never knew the needed!
We share some insights into our Top Gift ideas and ultimately what could set you apart in the gift of giving!
Often when buying a gift for a baby shower we automatically direct our attention to clothes and toys for the new baby. But as our group of new mums suggested, there may be some alternate cool ways to gift something that a new mum never knew they needed.
Speaking with one of our new mums Belinda, she talks about what she received that she never thought to buy herself but came as an unexpected and welcomed treasure.
“I was so excited for my first born. Every time I went to the store I came back home with a whole bag full of cute outfits for the baby. By the time the baby shower came, I had so many clothes I had both bought and gifted from friends and family, it gave me heaps of options which was great. One of the best gifts I received however that I never actually thought to buy myself was a pram liner. I literally used it every day through autumn and winter. It was a soft fluffy wool liner and I never realised how much I would need that and never thought to buy it for myself when prepping for bub. I would totally recommend it as a gift for someone else. My gift was actually from the same brand as my pram, but when I went to buy a summer liner I actually ended up buying a different brand that had a cute little print on it and was relatively inexpensive”.
Jen shares her story on how one little gift changed her nightly routine throughout breastfeeding and beyond.
"I thought I had the perfect nursery planned out. I had picked everything even right down to the little photo frames for decorations. when I threw my baby shower, I received lots of great gifts, but I remember thinking to myself how cool is this little owl shaped battery operated night light. Little did i know that I would be using it every night! It meant I could night feed in bed, with the little light next to me and not fumble through the dark. I used that thing for walking to the bathroom at night. The list goes on. It has now made it into my little girls bedroom and we use it every night for the night time routine. I cannot recommend it enough!"
When speaking with our founder Sonya Khouri about her experience as a new mum, she reflects back on one of her unexpected picks she never knew she needed.
“I was so lucky I actually received so many beautiful gifts from family and friends. The hooded bath towels were one thing that I still use until today and bub is now 2yrs old. As for my unexpected pick, that would have to be the bath thermometer that my sister bought me. It was a cute little duck shape and it literally saved my sanity at bath time, instead of the old elbow test. It was such a great idea I never knew I needed one, but couldn’t live without it afterwards. I’d highly recommend it as a purchase for anyone becoming a new mum or looking to gift to a new mum. It changed my world. Of course I’d also suggest a little something for mum. Often we get caught-up in buying for the new baby that we forget mummas might like something too. A nice candle or belly cream or silk eye mask would make as a great gift to say hey, this journey is about you too. I’ll never forget my girlfriend bringing me a whole box of donuts to the hospital after I had baby Joseph. It was literally all I craved throughout the end of my pregnancy and I was so excited to see that box all for me”.
You might like our Taking Care of Mumma Gift Box if you’re looking for the perfect mummy gift that includes our Boobies: Soothing Sore Nipples Balm, Newborn Soy Candle, Sleep: Silk Sleep Eye Mask and Calming Room Spray.
If you’re after some more ideas, here are our Top 5 picks for baby shower or newborn visit gifting. We hope they inspire some new gifting ideas for you.
- Baby wool wrap. We love the Bundl baby wool wrap $129. The perfect natural organic cotton wrap with removable wool liner. Keeps baby snug at home and also perfect to use in the pram.
- Nappy change mat & clutch. We love the Ben & Ellie clutch change mat $210. Made from luxurious materials for the modern mum, it folds out to a fully functional portable change mat.
- Looking for something for mumma? We love Nurture & Ko’s Chunky Salted Caramel pregnancy and breastfeeding bliss balls $16.95 Nourishing snacks to help fuel new mumma. Or our beautiful Sleep: Silk Sleep Eye Mask $32 made from mulberry silk and helping with much needed mummy shut-eye.
- Baby Skincare. Usually not one until after you leave the hospital. Luckily you’re in good hands gifting Malo Bebe’s natural Australian-made skincare with luxurious ingredients. Choose a gift pack or the Baby bath wash 250ml $20 made from coconut oil & chamomile or No Messy Fingers Soothing Sore Bum Cream Pump-Up $22.
- Photo frame for one of the beautiful baby photos to come! We love the selection from Wedgewood from $60.